How to Save the Top Tier of Your Cake
You have probably been asked if you will be saving the top layer of your wedding cake to eat on your one-year anniversary. Sone people have no desire to do this, but if you plan to there are specific steps to take so you are not trying to eat a freezer burned mess.
Originally the top tier of the wedding cake was saved to be eaten at one of two occasions—your one year anniversary, or your first child's christening (if you were moving fast).
Some though the custom brought good luck and prosperity into your marriage. Others simply look at it as a way to bring a literal piece of your wedding day into your marriage to remember and enjoy a year later. No matter the reason, the big question if how to accomplish this task.
How to Do It
To give your cake the best chance in the freezer for over 365 days, follow these tips:
1. Immediately following the wedding, place the top tier of the cake in the freezer for a few hours to freeze the outer layer of icing.
2. Next, loosely wrap the entire cake with freezer-safe plastic wrap. Cover every inch of cake with plastic wrap, ensuring no piece remains exposed. This will help you to ward off freezer burn.
3. Once wrapped, place the tier into a cake box (you can obtain these from a local craft store, or ask your baker to provide you one ahead of time!)
4. Wrap the cake box in the same plastic wrap to seal it from moisture, air, etc.
5. Finally, place the box in the back of the freezer for safekeeping.
Things to Consider
Having your cake properly stored right away is your best bet for keeping it fresh. You will probably not be thinking of getting your cake into a freezer the day after your wedding, so assign this duty to someone you trust. Also, if you will be moving in your first year of marriage see if your parents can keep it in their freezer.
If You Do Not Want to Eat Year Old Cake
Some bakers offer a 1-year anniversary cake as a part of your wedding cake order. Or, contact them on your anniversary and ask for a small tier of your original cake. It will be fresh and take you back to your wedding day one year prior.